Mount Vernon At Home is a volunteer-driven "village" that provides services and support to assist Mount Vernon seniors age in place in their own homes for as long as possible. Our "village" is not a physical location but is a circle of neighbors helping neighbors, easing some of the challenges of aging in place.
- You want to age in place in your home and the Mount Vernon community you love.
- You never know when you will need help getting to medical appointments or even shopping, due to a sudden fall or unplanned surgery.
- Even if family and friends can help with transportation and chores, they may not always be available.
- You want to enjoy a wide range of educational programs and social events. Mount Vernon At Home will keep you from feeling isolated in your home as you get to know other people in the Mount Vernon area at our social activities.
- You will have access to a list of vetted vendors, such as plumbers, handymen, home health companies, etc. Some vendors offer discounts to Mount Vernon At Home members. Follow-up phone calls by our office will check on the quality of service provided by the vetted vendors and volunteers. With Mount Vernon At Home behind you, you greatly reduce the risk of exploitation - we will be your advocate in consumer issues.
- It's great to take advantage of: weekly grocery shopping trips; social companionship visits or phone calls; assistance with home technology issues (computer, TV, DVD, phone, answering machine); home services during brief absences such as watering plants and mail pick up; medical advocacy services by trained volunteers; home care counseling and hospital discharge planning; monthly newsletters mailed to you.
The membership dues are a bargain for the resulting services and peace of mind.
Members join for many reasons. Many members join for the social aspects – parties, programs, tours - and the opportunity to meet new people. Others like the conveniences – having one number to call for all types of services, whether for the name of a recommended electrician, a ride to a medical appointment, or help installing a new computer printer.
A few members may need referrals to home health care. Many members (and their families) find it reassuring that Mount Vernon At Home can provide access to such resources when they are needed. Membership is a kind of insurance policy knowing that we are here for you whenever the need arises.
Also, many members join Mount Vernon At Home, a community non-profit organization, to help their older friends and neighbors continue to live safely and happily in their homes - membership ensures continuation of these services so it will be here when you need it.
- One phone number to call for information or to request services - volunteer services, referrals to vetted providers or to sign up for programs.
- Reliable transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping, hair appointments, banking and errands.
- Assistance with technology issues and light handyman tasks around the home.
- Social events and educational programs. These can be special tours, neighborhood walks, programs on aspects of aging, and friendly get-togethers.
Call Mount Vernon At Home to see what we can do for you! We will work with you to find a solution - from a ride to in-home personal care to hospital discharge planning. We are here to meet your needs.
Members call or email our office with all personal requests, preferred provider referrals or to sign up to participate in an event. When we receive a member request for service, Mount Vernon at Home staff will identify a volunteer to help with that request and coordinate details between the member and volunteer. If the member requests a preferred provider referral, our staff will provide several preferred provider suggestions. Members have a central place to turn for help and information - staff will initiate volunteer contacts and respond to individual needs. What could be easier?
Yes. Mount Vernon At Home will take you grocery shopping and bring your groceries inside for you. We will arrange for a driver to take you to medical appointments. And we offer many opportunities for you to join in activities - such as bridge, exercise classes, restaurant get-togethers, talks on wellness and current events, etc.
Many times condominium handyman services are not free of charge so our volunteer handymen can be a big value to condominium owners also.
We welcome people of all ages.
Membership is open to all adult residents of our service area which includes a 14-square mile section in southeastern Fairfax County, generally known as the "Mount Vernon" area. This area roughly comprises Cameron Run as its northern border, the Potomac River as its eastern border, Dogue Creek as its southern border, and Richmond Highway over to the northern part of Telegraph Road where it intersects with South Kings Highway as its western border. Please call our office if you have questions regarding your location in our service area.
No. Many volunteers are members but many volunteers are not members and they are of all ages.
Many Mount Vernon residents are already helping their senior neighbors lead safe and secure lives in their own homes. Mount Vernon At Home uses the experience of these good neighbors as well as that of new volunteers in our area. All volunteers undergo background investigation checks and volunteer orientation prior to becoming active volunteers. Volunteer drivers also undergo motor vehicle background investigation checks.
Yes, you can give a membership to your parents, other relatives or even a friend or neighbor. You'll be happy knowing they are safe and well-treated living in their own home and neighborhood they love.
The annual membership fee is $700 for individuals and $950 for couples.
Mount Vernon At Home is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Donations to Mount Vernon At Home above the annual membership fee are tax-deductible.